Being a student at Valparaiso University gives you access to numerous resources and opportunities throughout your collegiate career. On campus, you have the ability to create your Valpo experience by taking on leadership positions, joining organizations that align with your passions, and experiencing a wide variety of courses. It is important to know what helpful resources are available on campus and how to take advantage of them during your tenure. Here are just ten to seek out:
- Let’s Talk Hours - The Counseling Center hosts daily walk-in hours for any student who wants to have an informal discussion with one of our counselors. The counselors can be a listening ear, offer resources, and help students start regular therapy services. You might consider using this resource if you want to better understand your feelings, are having a hard time with the winter season, or are feeling stressed. Let's Talk is offered Monday-Friday from 2-4 p.m. and no appointment is needed!
- Free and Discounted Software - You might know the IT Help Desk, but do you know that IT offers much more to students? Students have access to download the Microsoft Office 365 suite for free with their Valpo email. Additionally, students can purchase software like SPSS, Norton Security, Adobe Creative Cloud, and more at a discount! Valpo’s Office 365 package comes with a full version of Microsoft Office including: Access, Excel, InfoPath, Lync, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Word. Students can install Office 365 on up to five personally-owned PCs or Macs and five tablets. To begin your free and discounted downloads, visit www.valpo.edu/it/downloads/.
- The Great Outdoors - There are many ways to get fresh air on campus whether you’re looking to move your body, enjoy good company, or soak up the sunshine. You can find a disc golf course east of the Duesenberg Welcome Center, an outdoor basketball court south of Beacon Hall, and a new volleyball court east of the Fitness Center. Seasonally, students can also take advantage of the outdoor Adirondack chairs and fire tables on the South patio of the Harre Union or in the hammock village near Alumni Hall. Are you new to disc golf or need to rent camping equipment for a weekend at the Dunes? Students are able to check out discs, sleeping bags, lawn games, and so much more at BBs. Check out what’s available.
- Printing professional research posters for class or flyers for your student organization has never been easier!Design Works is Valparaiso University's own campus print shop. Students can submit their personal or student organization printing, laminating, binding projects, and more. Submit your projecthere with at least four business days' notice and you'll receive an email when it is complete!
- Fitness Classes - Do you want to meet others who are also focused on their health and fitness? Maybe you want to try a new workout routine or you might be new to exercising. Either way, the fitness classes and instructors on campus are excited to have you join them! Campus Recreation and Well-Being hosts a variety of fitness classes from yoga to martial arts each week. Find up-to-date schedules at valpo.edu/rec-well/classes.
Do you want a fitness class from the comfort of your residence hall? Check out Campus Recreation and Well-Being’s youtube.
6. Come and Be Blessed Cuts Barbershop- The campus barber shop is open on Mondays between 12 p.m. and 8 p.m. Located on the second floor of the Harre Union, above the mail center space, this is a welcoming place for students to get their hair cut. To schedule an appointment, call 219-487-1811.
Come and Be Blessed Cuts Barbershop - The campus barber shop is open on Mondays between 12 pm and 8 pm. Located on the second floor of the Harre Union, above the mail center space, this is a welcoming place for students to get their hair cut. To schedule an appointment, call 219-487-1811.
7. Mental Wellness Spaces - Each floor of the Christopher Center Library has a mental health space for student use. Every station includes a basket with fidget toys and QR codes to mindfulness/meditation playlists. The first-floor station, located near the media shelves, includes an interactive area with a Lego table and board games. On the second floor is a relaxation space, located across from the circulation desk, with soft seating, a zen board, and sound machines. The third and fourth floor spaces are located in the alcoves facing the ASB. The desktops located on these floors are set up with TAO Connect.
Would you like to talk to someone about your well-being? Wellness Walk-ins with the Office of Prevention and Wellness happen every Thursday from 1-3 p.m. in the Fitness Center. This is a great time to talk about general mental wellness and coping skills.
8. Get Involved: Do you want to more involved on campus but not sure where to begin? There are 100+ student organizations, and many events to attend each week, but what if you aren’t sure what might be a good place to start? At the Center for Student Involvement (Harre Union Suite 100), you can meet with a peer to learn what organizations, events, or other opportunities align with your interests. The Engagement Ambassadors at the Center for Student Involvement are happy to help you get involved on campus; email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time! Have you used your MyValpo account lately? Under events you can sort by date, event type, and more to see what upcoming fun is planned across campus.
9. Academic Support with the Learning Centers - There is not one, but four learning centers on campus: the Academic Success Center, the Writing Center, the Hesse Learning Center, and the Language Resource Center all assist in various facets of learning for students. Knowledgeable and trained peers from across campus will help you work through essays and assignments in one on one, group, or supplemental instruction. Learn more about the centers and all they offer here.
10. Sirko Makerspace - Bring your imagination to life with the Sirko Makerspace. Equipped with a Cricut Maker 3, Cricut Easy Press, Glowforge Pro Laser Printer, and Flashforge Pro 3D printer, you can cut, engrave, iron-on and score more than 300 types of materials.
To utilize the Sirko Makerspace, you must complete training. Find more information at valpo.edu/communication-and-visual-arts/equipment-makerspace.
Here at Valpo, we specialize in providing our students with the best possible experience to help them grow into the servant leaders that they were always meant to be. These 10 resources can help you get started on creating your Valpo experience and get you on track to be a part of the ever-changing Valpo community. Happy searching!